Monday, October 5, 2009

Hand Beading Class

On Thursday, three sewing friends and I headed to the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo in Chantilly, VA. The expo was had old and new vendors. To name a few, Vogue Fabrics was a vendor again this year. I didn't visit their booth, because I honestly don't need another piece of fabric. Hope Yoder, Hancock Fabrics and Marathon Thread each were vendors again this year. Some newbies that caught my eye, were J.Stern Designs, Gail Patrice Design and Londa's Creative Thread. I'm hoping to have each of them teach at the Sassy SEWer.

I registered to take a hand beading class with June Colburn. I've been wanting to hand bead for quite some time. I luv, luv, luv the richness hand beading adds to any garment, mini quilt or accessory. Each student purchased a supply kit that included a hand beading handout, a package of beads, a beading needle, silk screened fabric, and a felt square.

June taught us beading techniques such as, traveling, back stitching (a classic hand sewing stitch), couching and more. It was so interesting to see how each class participants design differed, but were all beautiful. June then showed us some of her most intricate work. One piece she showed the class, she says took her one hundred hours, yes 100 hours, to complete. It was fabulous. Overall, the class was enjoyable, June was patient and knowledgeable and I learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment