Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My rantings about group/private sewing lessons

During my morning coffee and internet search, I came across a great article that reinforces my rantings about learning to sew. Everyone who knows me, know I love the internet and sewing. They also know that I teach sewing and an advocate for group/private sewing lessons.

As a self taught sewer, I made so many mistakes when I first learned to sew. I tell the story of my first sewing disaster. I was making my first skirt and cut out the pattern pieces wrong. Therefore, my skirt would not go together, the notches wouldn't match. I couldn't figure that why. My next step was to get advice from an expert, Aunt Bernice. Within, minutes so showed me what I did wrong. Dah!!!!!

Some people say that making mistakes is how you learn. Yes, I agree, but why make it harder. My philosophy is to work smarter, not harder. I would have loved to have someone teach me to sew when I started.

Don't get me wrong, the internet has so many websites, U-tube tutorials and blogs about sewing that are fabulous. As an experienced sewer, I can easily understand sewing terminology and what's being taught. For a beginner, I believe this would be a bit difficult, not knowing sewing terminology. That said, below is the article I read ......


View article here

No comments:

Post a Comment