Monday, June 15, 2009

Another Adventure in Making Prom Dresses 2009

This year I altered two and made two prom dresses. Some people may have heard me say how much I hate to sew for others. It's not that I'm being selfish. I'm just a little bit of a perfectionist and some people don't appreciate the art of sewing. Most people don't know how much work goes into making a custom made to fit garment. Furthermore, they don't want to pay.

Well, this year's dresses were a pleasure to alter and make. All the girls were a pleasure to work with and looked fabulous in their garments. Ashley came to me four weeks before her prom with a photo of a gown she saw on the internet.


At first I hesitated because of the short notice. I usually ask for 6 -8 weeks, because of fittings and unexpected issues. I agreed because she was my friend from high school's niece and was so sweet. It was my job to create the identical garment in the fabric of her choice. Since, I didn't have enough time to draft a pattern, I found Simplicity Pattern #4401 with similar design lines.

First I made several muslins to perfect the fit. Which means she had to come in for several fittings and to be sure that her design was what she envisioned. Ashley was a bit anxious, because she was not familiar with the process of creating a custom made garment. I believe there were times that she was scared that she would not have the dress before her prom. I assured her that I would not sleep until her dress was done.

In the end, she was happy and looked beautiful. I was happy that she saw her dream dress realized.


The Diva

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful that you could make Ashley's dream prom dress happen. I belong to the Bend OR Chapter of the American Sewing Guild and our treasurer mentored a girl from a neighboring city to make her own prom dress. The challenging part was this young girl did not know how to sew but she wanted to create the dress for her senior project, so she solicited help from our chapter to do it. You can read all about how our ASG chapter helped a young girl to create her prom dress in an upcoming Notions magazine.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete